Deb’s Brisket & Veggies
Posted November 14, 2013on:
Okay, I had planned to do a braise of some brisket in the oven, but while chatting with some friends online, one mentioned she did her braising in a crock pot. I figured, “What the heck, I’ll give it a try.”
I used the 6 qt. crock pot, and cut the brisket in half (it was a huge whole brisket – cut in half it was four lbs).
- 1 can new potatoes, drained
- 4 medium carrots, washed
- 2 parsnips, washed
- 3 stalks celery, washed
- 4 lbs. brisket
- salt to taste
- pepper to taste
- Auntie Arwen’s Opa! Greek Lamb Seasoning (this is the only seasoning with ginger in it where I can tolerate the ginger)
- 1 cup red wine of your choice
- Put the new potatoes in the bottom of the crock pot.
- Cut the carrots, parsnips, and celery into pieces about 1 inch long. Add to crock pot.
- Rub brisket with spices, then add to crock pot.
- Add red wine to crock pot.
- Set crock pot to low and let cook for eight hours, stirring very occasionally.
The meat should be tender, but firm enough to cut without making a hash of it.
It was delicious. We got two days’ worth of dinners out of it, plus a couple of sandwiches apiece, so I’d say it was a really good deal for the money. The brisket cost about $21 for just under 8 lbs., the veggies were about $3 in total, so four dinners and four sandwiches (plus a taste for a dear friend who happened to drop by the next day) cost under $25.