Food and Weight: An Ongoing Journey

Crazy Busy Week

Posted on: February 15, 2014

This past week has been full of snow and medical appointments.

The snow, of course, makes it pretty much impossible to do anything via public transit for me. However, the surgical consult was set for Tuesday, and there was no way in hell I was putting that off given that snow was predicted for both Monday and Wednesday.

Made it to the consult and met Dr. Stelzer and his nurse practitioner Laurita, as well as his lovely receptionist, Cathy. We had a good talk, and I have convinced him that I should have the surgery. He thinks my attitude is great, and that I am something of a force of nature. Called the cardiologist on the way home, and he told me he thinks I’m brave. I don’t get that, honestly. I’m not stupid. I’m scared to death about having my chest cracked open. However, all I’m doing is what is necessary; I don’t see it as particularly brave.

One thing is that I may need some dental work done, so that has to be gotten out of the way before  have the heart surgery. The reason for this is that if I have it done after the surgery, and I get an infection, it could kill me. I also now have to take an antibiotic an hour before I go to the dentist to prevent infections from happening. We are looking at doing the heart surgery at the end of March/beginning of April, in order for me to get the dental work out of the way.

This is all a whole new world to me, having to take precautions for everything, but if it will maximize my chances of pulling through it, it’s what I have to do.

In order for the dentist to do his thing, however, I had to get a clearance in writing from my primary care guy. So, when I got home Tuesday, I called my primary care and got them to squeeze me in for Wednesday, so I could get the clearance, and also a referral in writing for the neurologist I need to see about the possible development of Cubital Tunnel Syndrome in my hands, and of a non-diabetic neuropathy in my legs and feet. Made it home before the snow, but think I may have picked up a cold in his waiting room. Such is life.

Other than that, I’m still hanging in. I ordered and received a hula hoop, which I plan to use to do some low impact exercising with. My outlook is reasonably good, all things considered, and I’m trying not to overthink things, lest I eat myself alive with worry.

So that’s where things are at right now. It feels kind of like hurry up and wait at some levels, but there is forward movement, and it’s real forward movement, so I am grateful.






Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s

Freelancers Union

%d bloggers like this: